Sam's butchered clearance sets Windsor FC up for defeat against Egham Town


Sam Butcher’s bungled save was the ‘pivotal moment’ for Windsor FC on Saturday as the side were beaten, 3-0, by Egham Town at Stag Meadow in the Combined Counties Premier Division North.

With five minutes left to play of the first half, the Royalists’ stopper disastrously diverted Dan Brown’s corner into the back of his own net, requiring Mark Cooper to revise his half-time team talk.

The hosts came out after the interval and applied some attacking pressure under their manager’s instruction, but it wasn’t enough for Egham to feel snowed under on this bitterly cold afternoon.

In the 68th minute, the side added another to their advantage thanks to Brendan Matthew, before Sandro Costa made the game safe with a third goal 20 minutes later.

“The first goal certainly changed our outlook for the second half,” said Cooper at full-time. “We were going to change our shape at the break anyway as I believe we weren’t getting Ex (Excellence Muhemba) in the game enough.

“We came out, exerted some pressure, and were very much on the front foot. We huffed and puffed, created enough chances, but we were susceptible to the counter-attack and their speed of play.

“I think the scoreline suggests it was one-sided but I think it was an even match and to go back to where I thought we lost the game – that was on the stroke of half-time. It was a pivotal moment.”

Windsor could well have found themselves a goal down much earlier through Butcher’s decision-making when the goalkeeper rushed to meet Danny Campion inside the area and inadvertently brought the striker down.

However, to Cooper’s relief, the referee was not interested in either the management staff of Egham or their supporters’ penalty cries.

Prior to the visitors’ opener, Danny Horscroft had presented the closest chance of the half for his side with the midfielder whistling an effort past the left post in the 30th minute.

A lack of communication can be attributed to Windsor’s misfortune just 10 minutes later, when the deadlock was broken through Brown’s cross.

From the restart, the Royalists pressed well and won an early corner. From their endeavour, Egham were forced to hack the ball off the line and out for a throw in.

Charlie Losasso scuffed a shot next before Danny Campion squandered a golden opportunity down the other end when, sent through on goal, the number nine rounded Butcher with ease and punted an effort wide with the goal at his mercy.

Matthew, however, made no mistake in gifting his side another goal as the midfielder dispatched a well-taken finish when one-on-one with the Royalists’ ‘keeper.

A thrilling final 10 minutes would have certainly ensued if Ben Smyth managed to drag his shot the right side of the woodwork.

The game, however, was ultimately wrapped up by substitute Costa with a poacher’s effort two minutes from full-time.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles